Support the Cigarette Tax to Stop Medicaid Cuts - Read the Cigarette Tax Fact Sheet
Right now, the Governor's office and leadership are debating the future of Medicaid and other critical safety net programs. While the budget crisis is daunting, there is one solution that takes a huge step towards fixing this problem: The cigarette tax.
Read the Fact Sheet Below
CIGARETTE TAX WILL ELIMINATE 26% OF THE BUDGET PROBLEM.
Medicaid is facing devastating cuts without additional funding!
- Medicaid current budget shortfall: $2.7 billion
- Smoking related costs to Medicaid: $1.8 billion/year
Call Tom Cross, House Minority Leader, and tell him to have his Republican caucus support the cigarette tax.
His Springfield number is (217) 782-1331.
His District number in Plainfield is (815) 254-0000
Current Illinois State Cigarette Tax: $0.98/pack
- Average state cigarette tax in U.S.: $1.46/pack
- Illinois ranks 32nd in the United States
- Last cigarette tax increase in Illinois was 10 years ago and was a bi-partisan effort
A $1 cigarette tax increase is a proven strategy to reduce youth smoking!
- Illinois kids who will not become smokers: 77,600
- Illinois Adults who will quit: 59,400
Read the Fact Sheet Below and tell Minority Leader Cross to support the cigarette tax!